Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday - maxes

Oly Squat - 335#
Bench - 245#
Deadlift - 415#
Total:  995#

I had absolutely no drive or energy for my planned 5-star workout (day #2 for that.  Meh).  However, I felt decently strong, so I decided to go for my raw total.  Ok, I cheated and used straps for the deads.  My grip/palms are not up to par.

Olympic squat - high bar, close stance, quad dominant, upright torso.  I am not displeased with this number.  I have squatted vastly more in the past, but that was with a power squat (low bar, wide stance, etc).  I have to travel much further on the oly squat, and it is not nearly as strong of a motion.  Also, aside from some speed squats at 185#, I have not done any back squats for a long time.

Bench - Beat my last max by 20#.  Again, not earth shattering.  My best ever was 275#, right before I trashed my shoulder.  225# went up smoothly.  245# was a grind, but I got it.

Dead - Meh.  I had 415# the last time I tested my maxes a few months ago.  I have had a lot of practice since then, but all at light weights (315#-ish).  I am pretty sure I could have gotten 425, but I was just out of gas by that point.

Note to self:  take more rest between early sets, less near the end.  The rest period before my final deadlift made me dread going back to the bar.  If I had gone again without the rest, I probably would have gotten the 425#.

Overall:  995# total.  Damn it, so close to a grand.  Ah well, gives me something to strive for next time.

Note:  Bodyweight around 185#.  So percentages are:
Bench:  1.33 - ~35# to hit 1.5x (275#)
Squat:  1.8 - ~35# to hit 2.0x (370#)
Dead:  2.25 - ~45# to hit 2.5x (465#)

Those should be possible by the end of the year, especially once I start training with Josh.

No comments:

Post a Comment