Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Diet Thoughts

Thoughts for melding Kiefer's carb backloading with Shelby's carb cycling.  Why?  Mostly to drop some fat while not sacrificing muscle.  For specific reasons:
1.  I like the concept of back-loading (carbs post-workout only), but I do better with more structure. 
2.  I feel better at a lower body fat.  Both physically (lower back is not as sore/tight) and ego-wise (look prettier). 
3.  With the back-loading concept, my food intake during the first part of the day is pretty similar regardless of which type of day I am on.  So if I am fragged or don't feel like lifting I can merely avoid evening carbs, add in some fats, and I will be fine on food intake.  Alternately, if I feel up to lifting and was not planning on it, I just have to ditch my evening fats and have carbs. 
4.  Having a lot of carbs post-workout makes me happy and feel better (no hunger issues)
5.  The amount of carbs/food should mesh well with my 5/3/1 Boring But Big lifting routine.

So, general thoughts:
1.  maintain the concept of "carbs post-workout"
2.  measure out quantities of food
3.  go through a "break in" week of purely low-carb days (running until 8/17)
4.  have designated high/medium/low days based upon workout & progress

Low days -  250g P + 50g F +    0g C = 1450 kCal
Medium -    200g P + 30g F + 200g C = 1870 kCal
High -         200g P +   0g F + 400g C = 2400 kCal

No lifting = Low
Upper body = medium
legs = high

With my funky lifting schedule, this will give me a varying number of high/medium/low days each week. 
Cardio will be an "as needed/as desired" thing.  Mostly, if I am bored I will go for a walk.  I might include a weight vest, or I might just wander for a few miles.  If I need the boost, I will try to run occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment